Sunday, May 30, 2010

"I know not what course others may take . . .

. . . but, as for me, give me liberty or give me death." ~ Patrick Henry

And that's what Memorial Day is all about, isn't it? Remembering those who died for our liberty.

What began as a way to honor those who died in the Civil War is now a holiday to remember all the men and women who died in military service. And as this 1909 postcard shows us, flying the flag is the perfect way to acknowledge the holiday (and don't worry, the dress code is now a bit more relaxed . . . jackets, ties, and corsets are optional when raising the flag).

If you're interested in a more active way to mark the day, check for local parades or ceremonies or click here to find the closest National Cemetery holding a Memorial Day ceremony. And, however you choose to celebrate, I hope you have a great holiday!

Golden Gate Cemetery, San Bruno, California

2 comments:

  1. Great cards. The last photo makes me catch my breath...so many died.
    I have a Memorial Post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm a bit late, but this is a great post. I love the quote from Patrick Henry. And your picture selections are beautiful. I hope your Memorial Day was peaceful and relaxing.

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails