Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Achoo! Why is my blog post so brief today?

No, it's not a cold . . . but I did sneeze over and over again today. Here's a hint at how I whiled away ten hours:

Cleaning the porches! If you live in an area without large amounts of pollen, this may not seem like an all day job. But, by mid-May our porches are covered with the sticky, dirty, grayish-yellow menace and the best way we've found to remove it is to clear everything off and mop the floors, then hose and scrub all the furniture . . . and boy is it a job!

Half the furniture is from the upstairs porch and my husband devised a great method for lowering it down with ropes. So that's a big chore for him, but when everything is clean it's really fun to watch the rockers and sofa rise to the second story. And that's just what I'm going to do myself - I'm clean and I'm going up to bed while I can still move!

Stop by tomorrow for a little etiquette chat . . .

****************

It has become that time of evening when people sit on their porches, rocking gently and talking gently and watching the street and the standing up into their sphere of possession of the trees, of bird hung havens, hangars. - James Agee, A Death in the Family

4 comments:

  1. You have been busy in that way that really speaks to me.
    I also noticed your wonderful brick walkway, and I love your porch furniture.

    What are you reading?

    laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I can relate to this!!! My furniture has been covered in pollen since March! Each time I clean it off, something else blooms. This has been the worst year I have experienced! Even the pool has a coat of pollen on the bottom (and we keep vacuuming it, to no avail). That's one of the few problems when you live in paradise!
    We will all survive this... soon!!!
    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like it around my house here..., but I can imagine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura - I'm reading Vanity Fair! It's one of those books I'd read 20 years ago and have been wanting to re-read. It's funny because I didn't remember Amelia at all, only Becky who's somehow endearing even though she's not a nice person at all. What are you reading this week?

    Jane - I agree that this is the worst pollen year. What a great problem to have, though, pollen in the pool!

    Maya - I assume from your blogs that you live at the beach, so lucky you for being at the beach AND the absence of pollen is just a bonus!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails