Thursday, March 25, 2010

Brown-Edged Wafers: Yum!

Would you prefer a cookie that's: 1) foolproof, 2) easy to make, 3) a cookie classic, 4) so delicious everyone wants the recipe, or 5) A and C? No need to fret over the answer because Brown-Edged Wafers are all of the above! This simple, buttery cookie is certain to become a favorite. The cookies are crunchy and pretty - perfect to accompany fresh fruit or ice cream (or both . . . so many possibilities). Feel free to ignore the holey texture of my batch; I was interrupted while creaming the butter and sugar and resumed the process an hour later - usually they texture is finer . . . really.

You might remember the store-bought version (from Nabisco, I think). These are so much better. Plus, a friend told me those were actually called 'Brown Edge Cookies' so perhaps the people at Nabisco were embarrassed at their grammar mistake and decided to halt production (although the folks at Reynolds don't seem to notice their mistake with 'Wax Paper' - I mean if the paper was made of wax as the name implies it wouldn't work very well . . . but, enough about my pet grammar peeves).

Here's the recipe:

Brown-Edged Wafers

Heat oven to 350.

1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 egg whites (unbeaten)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Cream butter. Add sugar, beating until fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, blending well. Stir in flour. Stir in vanilla, if using.

Drop by teaspoon (I use a small scoop - it's easy and precise) on ungreased cookie sheet, at least two inches apart. Bake until edges are brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool one minute on sheet then remove to cooling rack (don't cool completely on baking sheet as they will crumble).

Yield: 2 dozen unless you eat lots of batter!

I hope you'll try these this weekend - I'm off to make a pot of tea and have one now!

5 comments:

  1. I see these as a vehicle for jam, chocolate...and numerous other wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine came out with even more bubbles and very rough looking edges. I'm guessing I need to really whip up the butter at the beginning? Or maybe give it a good whip when I add the egg whites, I didn't beat it too long with the egg whites and I'm thinking thats what created very large bubbles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I just need to make them thinner next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you make these cookies thinner ?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails