Thursday, October 15, 2009

Window Shopping

Did you ever dream about owning a little shop? Maybe an antique store that sells primitive furniture or Art Deco furnishings? Or wonderful stationery with custom-designed letterpress invitations and classic calling cards? Or maybe an old-fashioned dress shop with comfy fitting rooms that have flattering lighting? I would love to own a cute little shop - I'm not even picky, it can specialize in books, antiques, housewares . . . it doesn't matter, the idea is just appealing. But, it's like the appeal of owning a Bed & Breakfast - even in an unrealistic moment you know the fun parts are 10% and the drudge parts are 90%. So, you have to really love it for it to work and I don't think I would - so it wouldn't.

Having said that, it's still a fun daydream and I am always very impressed when I see a good window display. It makes me think "that's the kind of shop window I would have" - which is the great thing about daydreams, you can believe you would have enchanting displays when in reality they would be very pedestrian. Recently I saw two charming windows and I hope you will like them, too.

This one is a small shop in Reynolda Village in Winston-Salem, NC. Not only is the stone work stunning, but the Tiffany-blue boxes mixed with the white cake stands is amazing. Doesn't this look like a place where you could happily spend an afternoon?

This window with the teapots is in Old Salem - the shop with the pumpkins featured here a few days ago. I like the simplicity of this - and also the symmetry. As the holidays approach, there will be lots of opportunities for window shopping . . . I'm ready, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails